Lavinia Nebbs is a moniker adopted by me: Kim Moore. If you google “Kim Moore,” you’ll get about 211,000,000 hits. So, around 2002 I started rebranding myself before I even knew what a “rebrand” really was. I just wanted a more exciting name. First I was “KBunnyHop,” then I was “Firecracker Lass.” For a while I went all in on theatre, and I became “Bride of Dionysus.” Somewhere in there I spent a brief stint as “Stella (for Star).” A few years ago I finally landed on Lavinia Nebbs.
I don’t call them “aliases” or “pen names,” because I’ve never made much effort to hide who I really am. They’re all me: A pickle-maker, a cocktail-mixer, a documentary-enthusiast… A people-connector, a dream-schemer, a tote bag-maker… I’m a textbook Gen Xer, complete with cynicism, fierce independence, and a refusal to be defined. (See: this entire paragraph.) I love a good puzzle; I don’t shy away from detail. (I also enjoy a semicolon, and I’m not afraid to use it!) As a playwright I can – and will – change voices on a dime. I’ll hit you with an “OMG” in one breath and analyze the Watergate hearings in the next. I thrive on defying expectations.
I write a good bit about the workplace. I’m not talking about dissecting capitalism or dismantling corporate structures. I’m more interested in the culture and the relationships. I’ve been working since I was 15 years old; I’ve spent most of my life at work. I’ve been an educator, an event planner, a bartender, a theatre artist, a film editor, a people manager, a project coordinator, a document controller, a customer service rep, and most recently: a specialist in regulatory affairs regarding accreditation for entities that want to bill Medicare….? How did that even happen?
I write about other stuff too, but I suppose I should pause and state here – for the record:
- Some names have been changed and/or identifying details tweaked in order to give myself some artistic license.
- Content on this site is my opinion and does not reflect the views, opinions, beliefs of any other organization or person or entity or any flippin’ thing.
- All content herein is for entertainment purposes only. (It may only entertain me, but hey – that counts, right?)
- I will make mistakes. I will correct them. Rinse. Repeat.
- Brevity is not my strong suit. If you’re looking for a TL;DR you may as well go ahead and swipe left.
Last but not least: Why Lavinia Nebbs? Lavinia Nebbs is a character in one of my favorite books. She’s an old maid who conquers fear. Infer what you will.